In my minimal amount of free time this week, I tried to think of a fun post for today. Since I’m so far behind with my reading when it comes to my Book Hoarder’s Selection reading, I’m putting the feature on hiatus until I can catch up! But I still wanted something for you guys — I thought and thought and just couldn’t figure out what to do! And now, as I write this, it’s Thursday evening and I think I came up with something.
What is this thing I’m talking about? Why, the things that make me happy!
1. YOU GUYS! Seriously, when I started blogging years ago, I never knew that there would be such an awesome community of bookish people! When I’m feeling down in the dumps about a book, I can talk about it with you all! When I love a book and want to flail and swoon, you all flail and swoon with me! And when I’m struggling with finding the right book to read, you are all there to help and give me ideas. I have to THANK all of you for just being so awesome!
2. Bookstores. OH MY GOSH. I can’t stay away from places that sell books. Even though I work in a library and can get books for free, I still constantly buy books. I love going to work and being surrounded by all the books, and then after work I’ll go to the bookstore just to be surrounded by MORE books. I may have even, on occasion, been caught petting a book or two. And sometimes this is by people other than my husband (who totally knows my ways).
3. That surprise package. Most of the time, the books I get in the mail are the books that I buy, forget about, and then receive in the mail MONTHS down the road. Those are awesome to get! But sometimes, I’ll get a bookish surprise from someone, which will leave me bouncing off the walls! Case in point, one day I got a copy of Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake in the mail with some buttons and it was a TOTAL surprise! My husband may have witnessed me screaming. Since that moment, he always threatens to open my packages before I get my hands on them.
4. The Edmonton Book Bloggers. After being so surprised that there were so many book lovers out there like myself, imagine my surprise when I realized how many amazing bloggers lived right in my city! It has been such a treat getting to know this group. We may not all agree on things, and we may not all read the same books, but we are definitely in agreement when it comes to bookish love!
5. The constant search for the perfect book nook. I am CONSTANTLY moving my books around. This is no small feat, either. I have a lot of books and to move them around means I have to find the space for 5 bookcases and lots and lots of books. I also have to have the time to move them all. My books have been in MANY different places of the house! When it comes to reading, I go from couch to bed, from room to room, from inside to outside … the possibilities are endless! I never stay in one spot for too long!
6. BOOK BLOGS! About 4 years ago, I knew of only a handful of book blogs. I didn’t think to look for more. Now I can’t stop looking for my next favourite blog! It’s always a great feeling to find that blogger who has the same taste as you, who talks about the same things you want to talk about, and who loves your favourite authors. I also love finding a blog that’s unique and fun! I’m not sure where I used to get my recommendations for books, but I’m so happy that book blogs always have me adding a new book to my pile!
7. Authors. Without them, WE WOULD HAVE NO BOOKS! The horror! Not only do I love authors, but I love that there is such a VARIETY of authors, which means we get books about ALL THE THINGS. I mean, how boring would it be if authors all wrote about the same thing?
8. This Blog. Really. I never thought, way back in 2009 when I started this blog that I would have so much fun writing it and have such a great following. This blog has really helped me step outside of my comfort zone with my reading and has made me really think about great posts to write — even if I’m the only one enjoying them (because it happens!). It really is such a pleasure and a joy to be able to share my bookish experiences with people and I hope to do much more of it in the future!
I’m sure my list could go on and on — and I’m sure that once I post this, I’ll think of SO MANY MORE things that I love when it comes to blogging, books, and the bookish community!
other things that make me happy:
movies based on books / pictures of overstuffed bookcases / tv shows about books / pictures of animals reading books / seeing a favourite tv character reading a favourite book of mine / planning bookish events / seeing the look on someone’s face when I gift them a favourite book of mine / seeing how unique all of us book bloggers are / listening to my favourite author narrate an audiobook / unusual bookends / discovering a new favourite audiobook narrator / secretly reading picture books instead of books made for people my age / being able to read whatever I want instead of reading adult books / learning that a favourite author is coming to my city for a signing / being able to chat with my favourite authors on social media / gorgeous book covers / etc. / etc.
What makes YOU happy?