Inspired by my blogging pal, Laura and her recent read-along for Moby Dick, I decided it would be fun to host a read-along for Margaret Atwood’s novel ORYX AND CRAKE — a novel that I’ve been meaning to read for AGES!
Being a huge fan of Atwood’s THE HANDMAID’S TALE, I was originally inspired to read this one after one of my favourite singer-songwriters, Sarah Slean, added it to her “vitamins” list (i.e. a list of necessary things to listen to, read, etc.). Here’s what she said about it:
Brrr……Orwell and Huxley on a cold modern breeze…..our impending doom…..careful with this one kids.
This was AGES ago and the book has since sat on my shelf, unread. Seeing as Canada Day was in July, not to mention the Canadian Reading Challenge, I got to thinking about this Canadian book in particular. It was time.
Since I’ve never hosted a read-along before, I thought I would keep it super general.
- The read-along will start IN TWO WEEKS and will end by September 2nd. Sign-ups will close by midnight on August 12th.
- Every Monday, I’ll post my thoughts on the chapters alloted and you can do the same! Feel free to comment on my post, as well as other participant’s posts.
- You can tweet your progress and/or reactions on Twitter using the hashtag #OryxCrake2013 — and feel free to add the badge to your blog or sidebar!
- Introduction post: July 29th. (start reading!)
- Part 1-3 reaction: August 5th.
- Part 4-6 reaction: August 12th.
- Part 7-9 reaction: August 19th.
- Part 10-12 reaction: August 26th.
- Part 13-15 & final post: September 2nd.
Want to sign up?
Just create a blog post about the read-along and link it up to this post using the Linky below! The sign-ups will remain open until midnight (Mountain time) August 12th.