Well hi there! It’s been a while!
Lately, I’ve found it too time consuming to write up a weekly recap, so I’ll be moving over to this format, a monthly recap, this month! I’m hoping to continue doing this throughout the new year, too, so I guess it’ll be good practice. 🙂
So what happened this month with me?
We had Thanksgiving … which was full of a LOT of good food. Surprisingly, I didn’t gain a thousand pounds at my cruelly timed doctor’s appointment the day after that weekend of eating.
I attended some bookish events:
- Words in the Park, where I met Jessica Kluthe and Jason Lee Norman, two local authors.
- Writing in Blood, a panel I attended with Laura, which featured local authors Jessica Kluthe, Jenna Butler, and one of my FAVOURITE authors, Lawrence Hill! Expect a recap soon!
In baby news, baby is doing well, I’ll be at 34 weeks this weekend, which is NUTS. I’ve had a few more ultrasounds due to a few issues, but so far things are okay. My bags are packed and ready for the hospital, though. I’d like to say I’m ready for anything, but attending prenatal classes has installed this panic attack reaction in me … I’ve never been one to have panic attacks, so it’s been interesting. I’m so thankful to have such a great husband to support me through all of this!
Oh, and Halloween! We have a tradition which involves getting Chinese food and handing out candy. As with all previous years, I order too much Chinese food and we end up eating Chinese and leftover candy for 3 days. No biggie.
Looking ahead …
- I wasn’t planning on participating, but everyone’s enthusiasm for NaNoWriMo means I’ve signed up! I have a smidgeon of an inkling of an idea of what to write about so I will definitely be winging it! (Be prepared for a pep post on Monday!)
- November will be my last month to do ALL THE READING. I have a certain number of reviews I’d like to get written and scheduled before baby and I’m happy to say I’m right on schedule!
I think I’ve had one recap so far this month, but I’ll include all the books I’ve read. I’ve been busy!
- Perfect Ruin (The Internment Chronicles, #1) by Lauren DeStefano
- Tommy Nightmare (The Paranormals, #2) by J. L. Bryan
- Tampa by Alissa Nutting
- Rosina, The Midwife by Jessica Kluthe
- Darth Vader and Son by Jeffrey Brown
- Alexander Death (The Paranormals, #3) by J. L. Bryan
- Just Getting Started: Edmonton Public Library’s First 100 Years, 1913 to 2013 by Todd Babiak
- Racing Savannah (Hundred Oaks, #4) by Miranda Kenneally
- Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison
- Hellgoing: Stories by Lynn Coady
- In a Glass Grimmly (A Tale Dark and Grimm, #2) by Adam Gidwitz
- 40 Below: Edmonton’s Winter Anthology by Various Authors
- Scaredy Squirrel Prepares for Halloween by Melanie Watt
- This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales
- The Spindlers by Lauren Oliver
- Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman
- The Benson (Experiment in Terror, #2.5) by Karina Halle
- Just One Year (Just One Day, #2) by Gayle Forman
- Hot Ticket (Sinners on Tour, #3) by Olivia Cunning
- Love Overdue by Pamela Morsi
- The Unseen by J. L. Bryan
- Jenny Plague-Bringer (The Paranormals, #4) by J. L. Bryan
Not bad for this month! Especially considering I had a two week span of having 9 books on the go (and only finished 6 of those this month!). I’m actually kind of happy with the stats of this list, too:
Local Books: 4/23
Canadian Authors: 7/23
Review Books: 5/23
Sure it doesn’t look like much, but my goal was to read more local and I’ve been doing that and I love all the Canada love in my reading!
So, come the new year, I definitely can’t buy books like I’m used to … I’m sure I’ll take more advantage of sales, freebies, and whatnot, but to track them for a month will be a bit of a pain (since I have the memory of a thumbtack). Therefore, I’m going to show books and bookish things of note that I received during the month! This might include signed books, review books, or other goodies I get in the mail or at signings.
Rocking my new Book Thief shirt that I won from the read-along! That’s right. I managed to fit it over my preggo belly. 🙂
Sent to my by the lovely Janet Gurtler! She lives about 3 hours or so south of me. 🙂
LOVE Gayle Forman. I rarely order things from other bookstores, but had to get my hands on this swag pack with a signed bookplate!
All of my signed Lawrence Hill books from Writing in Blood! The Book of Negroes and Some Great Thing are both copies I owned and read (and loved!) and I bought Any Known Blood at the event. He was super nice!
How do you like this new format for my recaps? Is there anything else you’d like to see? How was your month? Have you read anything good lately?