When I sat down to write a post for today, I had NO idea what to write about. I decided that even though I had a recap post yesterday, I’d go about writing a random post today, since yesterday’s was EXTREMELY book heavy. Here goes!
1. Last month I read 33 books. I feel like I’m still tired from all that reading. I’ve been reading the same book now since last Thursday and kind of loving that I’m going to bed with one book, waking up with one book, no books in between. At times I felt like I should pick up another book, but it felt nice to slow down and savour.
2. My little boy turned a year. ONE YEAR. How did time go by so fast? Meanwhile, a friend of mine who I met through childrearing had her second baby, just a few days after my boy turned one. She’s SO tiny and I find myself not believing that my boy was once that little.
3. Speaking of birthdays, since I’m a new mom, I have to say that I still don’t understand the theory behind the “smash cake.” My husband and I have had talks about this and I’m glad that we’re on the same page in not getting it. What’s wrong with giving your child a piece of cake or a cupcake? Why spend tons of money for a pretty cake for them to tear apart. Seriously. I just don’t get it!
4. The power went off this past weekend. The last time the power went off for a significant amount of time was in the summer, so it was a little more tolerable. This time it was in the winter, when the weather was at about -30 outside. I read the updates that it would take upwards of 4 hours to correct and didn’t feel myself panic about things getting too cold. We have a fireplace and the heat wasn’t going to drop THAT fast. Mostly I worried about what lights would come back on while I was trying to sleep, would the boy get cold sleeping, would I even GET to sleep?
5. On the subject of the power going out, I found myself sitting in bed reading for HOURS. Usually I read about 20 pages (I think that’s my record at night these days) and then fall asleep. Maybe it was the absolute silence that kept me up? We live in the country, so it’s very quiet to begin with, but with the power out, it’s even more quiet. Like, SO quiet. Normally I listen to the hum of the fan, or the furnace, but now it was only my thoughts. My thoughts kept straying to the fact that my heating blanket would NOT work without electricity. I was thankful for book lights and books, since my husband had to go to bed without anything (he likes TV.).
6. Black Friday, Cyber Monday … what’s with all of these so-called sales lately? I once read somewhere that retailers mark up their products throughout the year and so there’s barely a markdown when these days hit, so you just *think* you’re getting a sale. Needless to say, I found myself going through book lists on various retailer sites, looking at the prices, then putting them on my wait list at the library. I’m kind of amazed that happened after buying 50+ books last month.
7. Normally, once December hits, I’m ALL about putting up the Christmas tree, but this year I have no idea when I’ll put it up. First of all, I want to make it a tradition that we put it up as a family, even though I usually do it by myself with Christmas songs in the background, snow falling outside, and tea steeping in my cup. Second of all, I have a child now. A toddler. A small creature who doesn’t know what’s right or wrong and who will be probably climbing the tree at some point. I’m a little nervous about putting the tree up. Meanwhile, though. I’m very excited about taking the boy to see Santa, and to watch him open a few gifts on Christmas. Not to mention the tradition I’m starting of a new Christmas movie, book, jammies, and snacks on Christmas Eve. I look forward to cuddling on the couch with my husband and boy this holiday season!
8. I’ve been selling tea for almost four months and I can’t believe how it’s brought me out of my shell. I’ve worked in other direct sale companies before (okay, one) and didn’t have anywhere near the experience I’ve had with Steeped Tea. I’ve met so many wonderful people and have actually made money (which usually goes back to buying more tea) … and I get paid to drink tea! I mean, how fun is that? I love that I get to try new teas and share them with people. When someone says they love one of our teas, I get very happy! Plus, I’m already working on my third promotion right now, which is really exciting AND I have 10 other people in my downline, in only FOUR months! It’s pretty amazing.
And that’s about all I can think of to ramble on about! The boy gets more immunizations today and I plan for us to cuddle and watch movies. I have a tea order to go through, plus tea to drink, and maybe I’ll start a new book. I both love and hate that feeling when December rolls around that the year is ending … it makes me excited for what’s to come in the new year, but sad that this year has gone by so fast. Bittersweet, I guess.
Any random thoughts from you today? What’s on your mind?