What happened this month:
- This was a really weird reading month for me because I went from wanting to read all the time to wanting to watch Christmas movies and build LEGO all the time. I rolled with it and spent many a quiet morning with movies and LEGO and by the end of the month I feel like my desire to read started to come back though I’m hoping that I can balance my December with both books and Christmas movies because I am REALLY addicted to Hallmark Christmas movies.
- My kid turned 5! It was so much fun having a few birthday parties for him – one with family and one with his friends. He’s turning into such a little character and I can’t believe it’s been 5 years since he was born, though I still don’t think he was ever so little. It’s strange looking back at baby pictures because I feel like it all went by in a haze.
- On November 1, my kids started bugging me to put up Christmas decorations and I’m so glad they did. I think about midway through the month we started decorating and it just feels so cozy and Christmasy now. I love winter!
- Oh, and I started using my library more again! My oldest has been loving LEGO lately (and, let’s face it, I have too) and so we went and took out a bunch of LEGO readers and some fun books with building ideas in them. I found a couple of books I really wanted to read and took them out and am trying to keep my check-outs small, rather than taking out 10+ books, because I want to read my own books as well. I feel like I’ve gone too crazy with the library in the past and it always turns into this battle of should I read library books or my own books and could never combine the two.
What I read:
- Marilla of Green Gables by Sarah McCoy ***
- Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen ***
- Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton ****
- Extreme Vinyl Cafe by Stuart McLean *****
- Elevation by Stephen King ****
- The Embassy of Cambodia by Zadie Smith ****
- The Testament of Mary by Colm Toibin *****
- Behind a Mask, or, A Woman’s Power by S. M. Barnard (Louisa May Alcott) ***
- The Snow Goose by Paul Gallico ***
- The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cesneros ***
- The Grownup by Gillian Flynn ***
- Train Dreams by Denis Johnson ****
- The Beauty by Aliya Whiteley *
- I Am I Am I Am by Maggie O’Farrell
- Fatty Legs by Christy Jordan-Fenton ****
- The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell ****
- The Little Cafe in Copenhagen by Julie Caplin ***.5
What’s happening in December?
- Christmas! I have pretty much finished my Christmas shopping and plan to spend the month relaxing with cocoa or tea, books, movies, blankets, and, of course, my family. Christmas is my favourite time of year and I just like to take in all of the holiday spirit before the new year.
- I have no real reading plans, except to finish my current reads and work in some Christmasy books! I plan to just go with the flow with my reading mood and have a good end to my 2018 reading year.
What have you been reading lately? Any recommendations? How was your month in reading? What was your favourite read? What do you plan to read in December?