Last year I signed up for Roof Beam Reader‘s 2018 TBR Pile Challenge and I did HORRIBLE. Out of my 12 books and 2 alternates I read ONE book. But hey, that means sign up and try again, right?
What is the 2019 TBR Pile Challenge? Hosted by Adam, over at Roof Beam Reader, the 2019 TBR Pile Challenge is a year-long challenge to read books that have been on your TBR prior to January 1st 2018 – so it cant be books you bought last year, but books bought before that.
Here are the rules from Roof Beam Reader’s official sign up page:
1. Each of these 12 books must have been on your bookshelf or “To Be Read” list for AT LEAST one full year. This means the book cannot have a publication date of 1/1/2018 or later (any book published in the year 2017 or earlier qualifies, as long as it has been on your TBR pile). Caveat: Two (2) alternates are allowed, just in case one or two of the books end up in the “can’t get through” pile.
2. To be eligible, you must sign-up with the Mr. Linky below. Link to your list (so create it ahead of time!) and add updated links to each book’s review. Books must be read and must be reviewed (doesn’t have to be too fancy) in order to count as completed.
3. The link you post in the Mr. Linky must be to your master list. This is where you will keep track of your books completed, crossing them out and/or dating them as you go along, and updating the list with the links to each review (so there’s one easy, convenient way to find your list and all your reviews for the challenge). Your complete and final list must be posted by January 15th, 2019.
4. Leave comments on Adam’s official post as you go along, to update us on your status. Come back here if/when you complete this challenge and leave a comment indicating that you CONQUERED YOUR 2019 TBR LIST! Every person who successfully reads his/her 12 books and/or alternates (and who provides a working link to their list, which has links to the review locations) will be entered to win a $50 gift card from Amazon.com or The Book Depository!
5. Crossovers from other challenges are totally acceptable, as long as you have never read the book before and it was published before 2018!
SO! When I sat down to think of what books to put on my list, I decided to list the books that were the OLDEST on my TBR. I have quite a few books from 2017 to read, but prior to that not too many. It would be nice to catch up on reading those ones.
Here’s my list:
- Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (on my TBR since 2009)
- Bag of Bones by Stephen King (on my TBR since 2012)
- Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum (on my TBR since 2012)
- No Humans Involved by Kelley Armstrong (on my TBR since 2012)
- These Girls by Sarah Pekkanen (on my TBR since 2013)
- The Curiosity by Stephen P. Kiernan (on my TBR since 2013)
- Bellman & Black by Diane Setterfield (on my TBR since 2013)
- The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd (on my TBR since 2014)
- An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon (on my TBR since 2014)
- Love Letters to the Angel of Death by Jennifer Quist (on my TBR since 2014)
- Us Conductors by Sean Michaels (on my TBR since 2014)
- The Witches of New York by Ami McKay (on my TBR since 2016)
- Chai Tea Sunday by Heather A. Clark (on my TBR since 2014)
- The Unfinished Child by Theresa Shea (on my TBR since 2014)
When I last signed up for this challenge, I mentioned that I still had 76 unread books on my shelf from before 2017 and I’m happy to say I now have 46 which means I either read 30 or purged some.* Either way, the number is down so it would be great to get it down even further! So long as I get a kick in the butt to read some of these older books.
- Note: My TBR from 2017 and before is at 176 which is why I’m not even focusing on 2017 books. That can be looked at next year!
Are you joining the 2019 TBR Pile Challenge? What is your TBR at from before 2018?